Four Baby Sleep Essentials*

*for my baby. Your baby might hate them.  

HAPPY MAY!!!

Well, it’s hard to believe my little baby is a month old.  He’s also not so little. Need proof?  Here he is at 2 days old…

Ethan at 2 days old

And here he is two days ago.

Ethan at 3.5 weeks

He’s grown by a quarter at least!

Anyway, all in all, he’s a great kid. He’s very adaptable, easy going, and smily, even at one month. However, he is still a one month old, and sleep doesn’t always come easy to him.  Obviously, I want to help him sleep as much as I can, but my arms can only bounce a 9.5 lb baby for so long before the burn is just unbearable.  Having Anthony and my mother-in-law around helps enormously, but we all use these different tools to help him catch up on some zzzz’s.

Happiest Baby on the Block

The book The Happiest Baby on the Block is truly a life saver. The 5 S’s are magical in how effective they are 95% of the time (the other 5%, I’m pretty sure he has genuine gas).  The techniques not only help Ethan, but they help me feel like a confident and competent mom, which is priceless.  One note: I first started the book while pregnant, and put it down in disgust.  “Why is this man, a famous pediatrician, writing like I’m a 5 year old reader? It is so condescending.” Well, after Ethan was born, I re-opened it, and got it.  It wasn’t condescending. It’s written for moms and dads who haven’t slept in weeks and have lost their mental faculties.  It’s awesome.

Halo sleep sack

The Halo Sleep Sack is another essential for us.  We tried using baby blankets to swaddle, as well as three brands of of pre-made versions that were gifted to us, and the Halo is by far our favorite (to the point that we bought an extra!) It’s the only one that really keeps his arms in. However, my sister’s baby (not a baby anymore!) was a devoted Miracle Blanket baby, so your mileage may vary.  I’d recommend trying a few and seeing how it works for you. The most important thing we’ve learned is that for them to work, they have to be tight. Like, super tight. If he can get their arms out, he hits himself in the face and wakes himself up. True story. 

Cloud b Sleep Sheep

The Cloud b Sleep Sheep is such an essential that we’re about to buy another one for the car, just in case. We’ve been trying to be fairly minimalistic with baby purchases, but this guy – WOW.  He makes 4 sounds, and the ocean sound keeps E asleep at night. White noise is so helpful to keeping him asleep, as apparently in the womb, it was loud and white noisy all the time.  The only thing I’d change is to have a white noise machine that has the option to stay on all night, not just for 45 minutes, as when he wakes himself up in the middle of the night, it’s silent and he cries. Sad face.

Solly baby wrap

Solly baby wrap. Oh my goodness, how I love this wrap.  It’s soft, light weight, and gets him to conk out when nothing else will.  I also love that they’re made in the US and the company is owned by mama extraordinare Elle Rowley. However, wraps are yet another personal preference thing – there are so many ways to “wear” your baby, and the Solly is just one of many fabulous choices.

These are tools that have been working for us, though of course there is no guarantee that they will continue to do so – the joys of parenthood! Would love to hear what has worked for you, as well!

Speak Your Mind

*